Scatter chart (scatter plot) is good to visualize the relationships or dependencies between 2 data variables. Scatter plot allows you to display a large number of issues individually. Thus, the outliers can be easily spotted and further explored.
Performance Objectives app features a highly customizable Scatter plot that can be configured on any Jira standard dashboard using the ‘Scatter & Bubble charts’ gadget by NaraSyst Ltd. Observe the issue distribution by any Jira metric and identify anomalies and correlation patterns with other standard or custom metrics or fields.
Some reports that can be effectively visualized with ‘Scatter and Bubble charts’ gadget are:
- Cycle time vs Lead time, grouped by Issue priority;
- Time between ‘Created’ and ‘Resolved’ vs Time in Assignee “Unassigned”, grouped by SLA ‘Time to resolution’ Breach;
- Time in status ‘Open’ vs Time in status ‘To do’;
- Time to resolution ‘Breached’ vs Time to first response ‘Breached’, grouped by ‘Assignee’, etc.
Please find below configuration video for ‘Cycle Time’ scatter plot utilizing ‘Time between’ metric. Metric data is displayed by ‘Resolved by Day’ and grouped by ‘Issue priority’.
Here are the configuration steps with config screen preview:
Step 1: Add data source to filter out the issues you want to analyze.
Step 2: Select metric ‘Time between’ from the available metric options and select the date fields that you are interested in.
Step 3: Select field ‘Resolved’ for ‘Display by’ from the available field and metric options. Choose date granularity for the metric data. In the sample case it is ‘by Day’
Step 4: Select field ‘Priority’ for ‘Group by’ from the available field and metric options.
Step 5: (Optional) Open ‘More settings’ section and set custom page items value. Save the configuration.
Step 6: Other chart customizations available for the saved configuration:
- Select custom colors for your data sets;
- Hide certain groups from the chart by clicking them;
- Zoom any chart area to view certain issue clusters – drag the mouse on the chart and define the area to zoom. The chart will expand and show only the selected area. You can zoom multiple times to view in detail any chart area. Click the ‘Reset zoom’ button to return the chart to its initial view. Zoomed-in area view:
If you add ‘Bubble size’ metric to your configuration, you will get bubble chart. Here is a bubble chart created with the above configuration + Metric ‘Story points’ added as ‘Bubble size’. Priorities ‘Minor’ and ‘Major’ are hidden for the screenshot.
Related article: Bubble chart.
To see all chart types available in Performance Objectives app, please check the Charts Overview article.
Start your 30 days free trial of Performance Objectives: Charts for Jira from Atlassian Marketplace.